Thursday 7 May 2015

Homegrown Reuser: Oriana Rollo

This is the second installment of our series on Homegrown Reuser. Oriana Rollo reuses broken dishes, wool jackets and bullet shells to make some beautiful things. Read below to find out more!

Who are you?
My name is Oriana. I live and craft in the town of Canmore, Alberta located the Rocky Mountains. I create jewelry and other handmade goods for the home, using found objects and recycled materials.

What materials do you use and where do you get them?
Part of the fun of making each item is in the find. I love visiting my local thrift stores and getting inspired. Victory Thrift in Canmore is very supportive and lets pick out broken dishes that I think I can use for making my broken china plate pendants. I also use wool jackets to make pillows, bullet shells to make earrings & cuff links, scrabble game tiles into cute pendants, and up-cycled costume jewelry.

What is your favourite piece of work you have done and why?
My current favourite is making mountain pillows out of up-cycled wool jackets. I love leaving on some of the details of the jackets to give a hint of their former life. Some of the pillows have the buttons, cuffs, or even pockets worked into the design.
What inspired you to do this?
I get excited about re-using, and making something old into something new! Participating in craft fairs is always motivating as other peple get to share their enthusiasm for what you have made.

Do you have any tips/ inspiring words to share with newbie reusers?
Try something new. I think once you start you’ll wonder how you lived without it before :)

What are your goals for the future, both work wise and life?
I don’t think I could ever give up crafting now that I have started. It is my creative outlet, my therapy, and my passion.
I have started running my own craft market called Mountain Made Craft & Artisan Market which promotes local hand made crafters. 

Where can we find you?
Currently, I primarily sell my goods at Farmer’s Markets located in the Rockies including the mountain communities of Canmore, Banff, Invermere, Radium, & Revelstoke.
Also check out my Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/littlebirdbluedesign

Anyone can view and buy Oriana's creations online through her Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/birdbluedesign

- Michelle (volunteer)

No comments:

Post a Comment